Now my husband cannot claim I never knit for him, as I've finished the knitted companion cube! I cut the foam stuffing last night before the 4th of July fireworks. However, sitting on a curb in the dark watching fireworks is not conducive to needlework, so I popped down the street to watch the show, and then came home and seamed up the last side.
All of my major failing points in this project worked themselves out in the end. I conquered my first stranded colorwork piece! My knitting was twisted on the needle, but when I cut it into six faces the twist didn't matter anymore. My tension was all uneven because I was knitting a color with each hand for the first time, but it's not too noticeable now. Steeking was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Even the seaming wasn't overly tedious. I learned a lot on this project, and hubby seems to like it, so I'm calling it a success.