Friday, September 3, 2010

Airships and lace

I recently partook of a Steampunk themed swap on Craftster, and made some things that I really loved and gave away with much difficulty. This was my favorite.

Airship messenger bag front


Airship messenger bag back


My partner requested a messenger bag, and one of her favorite steampunk genres is air pirates. It's made of unbleached cotton duck and faux leather, and used this Simplicity pattern. For the blue design I used a piece of lace as a stencil and sprayed the fabric with Simply Spray fabric paint. The technique worked beautifully, and I love the result.  The airship lithographs I found as copyright free images here and here, then printed them onto fabric transfer paper. The key and lockset I got at scrapbooking store, they are Tim Holtz Idealogy findings. I really enjoyed making and embellishing the bag, and I'm in need a of new one myself, so I may be making another one soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment