Thursday, September 15, 2011

Apple Spice Muffins

Apple Muffins

I went apple picking earlier in the week. After eating fresh apples out of hand and whipping up a low carb apple crisp, I turned to the internet looking for more apple treat recipes. Instead, I found All Day I Dream About Food's Zucchini Walnut Spice Muffins
In her muffin post, Carolyn was lamenting the lack of zucchini in her garden this year. I can sympathize with her. Out of my three plants only one bore fruit, and it only produced two zucchinis.  I had no zucchini abundance with which to make muffins, but a half peck of apples happy to join the party.


Apple Muffins

I adapted Carolyn's recipe to suit the contents of my pantry and was thrilled with the results. I used two apples, peeled cored and finely chopped to replace the zucchini, and I left out the walnuts.

Apple Muffins

Apple Spice Muffins (adapted from ADIDAF's Zucchini Walnut Spice Muffins)

low carb, sugar free, gluten free 

2 cups apples (about 2 large fruit), peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup liquid egg replacement (Eggbeaters)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup Truvia
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Preheat oven to 325F and line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large bowl, mix together apples, yogurt, egg replacement, and vanilla until well combined. If you mix the apples into the yogurt mixture as soon as you have finished cutting them, they won't turn brown.

In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, soy flour, whey protein powder, Truvia, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.

Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture in two additions, alternating with the milk, and then beat in the coconut oil until thoroughly combined.

Divide batter among prepared muffin tins. Bake 28 to 32 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Laurie! I love apples and apple-picking, and I can imagine the spice combo was perfect with apples too.

    ReplyDelete