Monday, January 16, 2012

Custom hot cocoa by the mug

Hot cocoa
It is bone chilling outside this week. Dry, windy, and cuts through four layers of warm woolies cold. It may not look like winter without any snow on the ground, but it sure feels like it. This is hot cocoa weather. I like my cocoa rich, dark, not too sweet, and ready as soon I crave it. Hubby, on the other hand, likes his sweeter and less chocolatey, but also right away. How to please us both? Custom hot cocoa in a mug! You are less than 5 minutes away from your own chocolate bliss.

Basic cocoa by the mug
sugar free, low carb, gluten free

1/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
10-15 drops liquid stevia
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together cocoa powder and half of water in a mug until smooth. Add remaining water, milk, stevia, and vanilla. Microwave on high 2-3 minutes or until hot. Careful not to overheat, as the cocoa could boil over. Stir well and serve.

This basic recipe is more hubby's style of beverage, and makes enough cocoa to fill a standard coffee mug. My favorite mug holds about one and a half times that amount. I use 1/2 cup water, 1 cup of milk, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (really chocolatey!), about 20 drops of stevia, and the extract. Of course, I don't limit myself just to vanilla extract! I like variety in my cocoa. I recommend substituting raspberry, orange, almond, or peppermint extracts. Not a fan of liquid stevia? You can use your favorite sweetener: start with the equivalent to 1 tablespoon of sugar and go from there. Experiment and make the perfect cocoa for you!


0 comments:

Post a Comment